Social media is a vital tool for businesses, brands, and influencers who want to share their visions and dreams with the world. Following these simple guidelines will take you and your brand to new heights and allow you to establish a successful digital presence.
Here is an outline of how to create, publish and share a post on several different media platforms, including Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn.
How to Upload a Photo to Instagram:
- To take a photo or upload one from your phone or tablet’s photo library, first tap the photo icon (iOS and Android) at the bottom of the app.
- To take a new photo: tap the blue circle. If you’d like to turn the camera to face you, tap the icon with arrows indicating the camera will turn around . To adjust the flash, tap the lightning bolt icon.
- To upload a photo from your phone or tablet’s library: tap the box icon (iOS) or the icon containing 3 rows of 3 dots (Android) and select the photo you’d like to share.
- Once you’ve taken or uploaded a photo, you can add effects or filters, a caption and your location before sharing.
- Note: You can’t take or upload photos from a desktop computer.
How to Upload a Video to Instagram:
- To record a video or upload one from your phone or tablet’s library, first tap the photo icon at the bottom of the app.
- To record a video: tap the video camera icon to switch from camera to video, then tap and hold the red circle. Lift your finger off the screen to stop recording. If you’d like to turn the camera to face you, tap the icon with arrows indicating the camera will turn around.
- To upload a video from your phone or tablet’s library: tap the box icon (iOS) or the icon containing 3 rows of 3 dots (Android) and select the video you’d like to share.
- Once you’ve recorded or uploaded a video, you can add a filter, a caption and your location before sharing.
- Note: Video recording is currently only available for the iOS and Android apps.
How to Upload a Photo/Video:
- Click Add Photos/Video at the top of your News Feed.
- Select an Option: Photo or Video.
- Select the Photos and/or Videos you want to add to Facebook.
- Click Post.
How to Share a Post you see on your News Feed:
- Click Share below the post.
- Click “Share…” in the dropdown menu.
- To select where you want to share, click “Share on your Own Timeline” at the top of the popup menu, and choose one of the following options: Share on Your Own Timeline, Share on a Friend’s Timeline, Share in a Group, Share on a Page you Manage, Share in a Private Message.
- If you are sharing on your own Timeline, and you want to select who can see your post, click the person icon and choose one of the audience options.
- Enter an optional message.
- Click Post.
- Note: You can’t share posts to people who weren’t part of the original audience (ex: a post shared with “Friends” can’t be shared with “Public”).
How to Post a Photo in a Tweet:
- Type your Tweet into the box at the top of your Home timeline.
- From the web, click Add Media.
- Once a photo is selected, you will see a thumbnail image (or file name) appear as an attachment.
- Tap Tweet to post your message and photo.
- Note: Only photos can be posted with Tweets. Videos cannot be posted with Tweets.
How to Retweet Someone’s Tweet:
- Copy the entire tweet, including the Twitter username of the person who sent it.
- Paste that information into a brand new tweet.
- Edit the tweet as needed so it’s fewer than 140 characters and/or allows for comment space.
- Add your two cents and tap Tweet to post.
How to Share a Status Update on LinkedIn:
- Click the “Share an Update” button on the upper left of your home page.
- Type your message into the text field.
- Select the “Share” button.
How to Publish a Post on LinkedIn:
- Click the “Publish a Post” button on the upper right of your home page.
- Type your long-form post into the text field.
- Click the Publish button in the top right, next to Save.
- You’ll be asked to confirm that you want to publish your post.
- Click Yes, publish it or No, not yet to return to the writing experience.
Now that you have some basic guidelines for posting and sharing on social media, you are ready to start building and expanding your digital presence! Happy posting!